Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!
Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!

Hyphenated Citizenship

Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge : Hyphenated Citizenship Tradej11

Hyphenated Citizenship Empty Hyphenated Citizenship

Post by Kyouri Kai Wed 16 Sep 2009, 2:24 pm

Just got through reading Kage's post about Mexico's Independence Day, which I still say 'Congrats' ^^ , and it made me wonder.... when do we stop using hyphens to describe our nationality? Currently I know of Mexican-American (aka Hispanic), African-American, Cuban-American (aka Latinos although they aren't from an actual Latin speaking country), Chinese-Americans, etc..... when do the hyphens drop? In my opinion, you are either simply 'American' or you're not. Using hyphens to me just continues the racial tension and division already rooted and well established into the American soil. I mean.. I'm only third generation American on my father's side as far as immigration goes. I can't see myself wandering around saying that I am British-Irish-Scottish-Indian (as in Native American)-American.... that's just too much of a mouth full. And oh, I already considered that someone might come back with something about how it only applies to those that just moved here and what-not.... bs... else 'all' people of darker colored skin would not be considered African-American. I think it should only apply if one literally holds dual citizenship in both countries.... otherwise, you're simply an American with a culturally diversified heritage just like all other Americans.... with the exception of the true Natives of course Wink , but then again, the Natives weren't actually 'Americans'... they were here before America was even founded by.... foreigners.
    KageSenko
    KageSenko
    go'dan
    go'dan

Hyphenated Citizenship Empty Re: Hyphenated Citizenship

Post by KageSenko Thu 17 Sep 2009, 1:11 am

it is a mouthful im french-italian-mexican-american Razz