Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!
Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!

Folding@Home

KageSenko
    KageSenko
    go'dan
    go'dan

Folding@Home Empty Folding@Home

Post by KageSenko Tue 06 Oct 2009, 8:40 pm

Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases

What is protein folding?
    Proteins
    are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can
    carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or
    "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental
    to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Protein folding is linked to disease, such as Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers
    Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases,
    such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's
    disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help scientists studying these diseases by simply running a piece of software.
    Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download
    and run software to band together to make one of the largest
    supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to
    our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to
    distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more
    challenging than previously achieved.

What have we done so far?
    We have had several successes. You can read about them on our Science page, on our Awards page, or go directly to our Results page.

the miracles of technology Razz, i just wanted to share this because when i heard of it i was astounded by the advances in the technical field.
    Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge : Folding@Home Tradej11

Folding@Home Empty Re: Folding@Home

Post by Kyouri Kai Mon 12 Oct 2009, 6:32 pm

Ok.... wait... I'm not exactly sure I understand this yet. Are you saying that with this program, computers all over the globe can virtually network together? And once networked, they all work through a single problem at once? If this is the case, what or who, decides what is to be considered top priority research for this 'folding'? And what are the risks of opening your port up to this network?
    KageSenko
    KageSenko
    go'dan
    go'dan

Post by KageSenko Wed 14 Oct 2009, 9:22 pm

lol we are all one big super computer, and everyone gets their own protein and their processor or graphics card folds the protein. and it brings little risk due to the fact that its using your internet to download the packets and all of that comes from their stanford university servers which are well protected due to their university technical professors. all the research is loaded on a server and is processed by their staff and students.
    YukariSendou
    YukariSendou
    san'dan
    san'dan

Post by YukariSendou Mon 19 Oct 2009, 12:32 pm

I have it. I don't have any risks of virus or such things. And if I can help them by using something that I use everyday to discover something new...then well I'm helping someone out wh omight need it more than me.
    KageSenko
    KageSenko
    go'dan
    go'dan

Post by KageSenko Wed 21 Oct 2009, 5:30 pm

lmao yeah i want to know i did a good thing in my life :O

in my class ranking im one of the top contributers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content