Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!
Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!

Haiti

Watari
    Watari
    roku'dan
    roku'dan

Knowledge : Haiti Musici10

Haiti Empty Haiti

Post by Watari Tue 26 Jan 2010, 12:00 am

So this topic has seemingly come up a few times in the chat and the responses are so spread out and pretty much I think that topic is better suited for the forums at this point so I figured I would make a thread about this, I don't think I remember seeing one on here. Basically what are your thoughts on the situation in Haiti? What do you think about America's involvement? The telethons to raise money and all the volunteers that are giving their time, money and lives by helping those that were affected by the earthquake? Just anything you think of on this topic in general lay it out here and we'll see what kind of consensus we come up with.
    Marijane
    Marijane
    go'dan
    go'dan

Haiti Empty Re: Haiti

Post by Marijane Tue 26 Jan 2010, 1:30 am

First, I want to thank you for starting this thread.. I have tried twice now.. and the first time it didn't save.. then the second time.. *sighs* It just didn't work out for me. Haiti 3947 I have no idea why.. so I will add what I have saved to my computer.. to this post.

I personally think that we should help them out a little.. but not a whole lot. For one, we are already in war. And we have our own problems that we should deal with first. But, that is just me *shrugs* But then again, at the same time.. if it was us over there.. I would feel that we should have a little help getting back on our feet. So, I am kinda in the middle on this situation.

Okay, so I found this amazing story about this family from Iowa that was getting ready to adopt a girl from Haiti, then when the earthquake hit.. there were not sure if the orphanage was still standing and if there new daughter was still alive.. here is a clip of what I saw from the world news. Tell me what you think...

Spoiler:

I think that this video can kinda give a small idea of how this affected us here in America. I was really sad that when I first saw this video, but I was glad to know that the little girl ended up being okay!
    Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge : Haiti Tradej11

Post by Kyouri Kai Tue 26 Jan 2010, 7:25 am

Being rocked by a natural disaster vs. being plummeted into debt by the govt are two totally different things. In the Haiti situation, heck, even with the Filipinos when they were hit hard, these are situations that truly tell us who we are inside. We are either humanitarians from our own hearts or we are selfish. I have absolutely nothing to offer... no money, no food, no clothes, no personal time... to anyone in Haiti, but the least I can do is make a small little banner showing that I feel sorry for them by giving others a link to perhaps donate.

Just because we may not have the world coming to call on us and offer us everything under the sun when Sept 11 happened or when Katrina came through and devastated the southern coast, we have to remember that we are, in alot of ways, the richest country in the world because when it comes to giving and sharing what little we may have, our hearts show. Without a caring attitude for others, we end up being just like those we complain about.

Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox... Haiti was devastated by a natural disaster. It was not something they could avoid or even truly prepare for. What kind of person turns their back on others in a situation like that? Like MZ said, it would be nice to know that others would help us if we needed it. But whether they do or not, I personally have no problem with the people donating whatever they have on their own to help those in Haiti. However, I do not think the govt has the right to dole out our tax dollars toward Haiti at the same time.

it's 6am and I just crawled out of bed without my coffee... I'll be back to edit this post later
    Watari
    Watari
    roku'dan
    roku'dan

Post by Watari Tue 26 Jan 2010, 2:56 pm

My personal thoughts are that the people of Haiti have always been a poor nation, they don't have the resources to rebuild themselves in a manner that would be acceptable, with the current body count around 112,000 dead they had to burn the bodies because there was no where else to put them, no way to bury that many, that to me is just terrible but unfortunately necessary, the amount of stress brought upon these people has to be unimaginable. I don't have a lot to give, but I was able to give $10 to help it's what I can do, it's not breaking my bank, but $10 is helpful in a sense that it's going to help someone eat or it's going to be part of the foundation of their house, that I can feel good about and will never have a regret in putting that money there.

As for the government helping out, they always allocate some money to help poor countries, are we in such a bad shape that we can't throw a little to help? No, I don't think we are, I think we can afford to help as a nation, but with all the charities raising upwards of 60 - 75 million total contributed, I think our governement will have to give very little to this cause. Besides with the $250 billion in cuts coming soon you can bet we're going to be hurting more with or without this aid we're giving Haiti, it's going to happen and I can bet you state funding is going to get the brunt of that cut.
    Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Post by Kyouri Kai Tue 26 Jan 2010, 3:07 pm

I do agree that with the money the govt sets aside just in order to help out other countries, there is nothing wrong with that. I just have a problem making it our own 10 year problem that continues to cost the taxpayers. Purchasing tents, medical supplies, water, and necessary food before the aid and workers could arrive is very much something the US can afford to do, it's going above and beyond with the tax dollars once further aid arrives that I believe needs to be limited. But in the end, whether anyone in Haiti can ever afford to offer any of us help in our time of need (which hopefully does not happen) or not, I simply cannot close off my heart to them or any other country that gets hit as hard as they did. It sucks this happened to them, but it is a very nice change of pace to see the peace amongst various nations of the world when they pull together in a time of crisis.
    Watari
    Watari
    roku'dan
    roku'dan

Post by Watari Tue 26 Jan 2010, 5:46 pm

Oh I agree, I don't think Haiti will turn out to be something that we need to worry about the government going over and beyond the duty to help out because it's pretty obvious that the charities are really diving in head first to get these people the help they need, the celebrities are definitely going in their pockets (John Travolta and his aviation group got planes full of stuff to fly to Haiti, George Clooney and his charity with their record breaking Telethone raised 60$ Million to help the Haitians) I don't see the U.S. having to spend much here. I do appreciate the fact that nations come together at a time like this to really help for a good cause and forget about all their BS differences. I watched the Telethone on T.V. and to hear the performances and speakers, it really sends chills up your spine to hear it, I like it, some of the artist weren't my favorite but I give them mad props they were there for a reason and a good cause and so all involved got big thumbs up in my book.
    Lrules364
    Lrules364
    go'dan
    go'dan

Post by Lrules364 Wed 27 Jan 2010, 12:06 am

To me, This is another ridicules waste of time and money. If we are working sooo hard to get our people back on their feet, then why are we sending millions of dollars to a country that never helped us? We do this EVERY time a natural disaster or a war goes on. The big and mighty U.S. has to step in and in the end we end up getting screwed over. I find it sad that Americas government and a 1/4 of its powerful population can just give away all this money when we have more people dying everyday here, then haiti had all together. We have elderly who starve to death, crime rates are going through the roof, children are dying(yes, even immagrant children) , people are losing everything they have, the government is going corrupt city with its green eco crap and unwise spending of my money, millions are without food or running water, our economy continues to grow worse, polititians continue to get even more corrupt then they were two years ago and the american people fail to notice it, single moms are still struggling to give their kids what they want and still make a living, banks are dying causing mass chaos and driving America into poverty, and as the death tole rises here in America everyday, we are fighting a foreign war that we cannot win, and ALL YOU PEOPLE CAN THINK OF IS HAITI!!!!! PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you look at history, it will tell you that the same thing happens everytime we try to help another country out. We go in, give them aid, and then somehow end up fighting a war. Then, we get defeated and banged up as thousands of our men die and we end up coming home and getting screwed over by everyone. I am sick of America thinking this way. It is the wrong way to go about things, and a shame to society. our founding fathers would never approve of this crap, and neither will I.Just look at what our democracy has become. It is a shame to the people in history. Until America today grows up and starts to realize how wrong they are in every aspect of thinking, I will be fighting. Yea, I may be in on just one key issue that I think is important, but there are billions of other people out there doing the same thing I am, but on different topics. And no, I do not care about your criticizing bs. You can talk about my ideas and how you think they are wrong all you want. but the truth is, im always eventually right. So keep talking, it's not going to get you anywhere. you can use this in context all you want. you can insult me all you want as well. but it is not going to bother me, nor will it cause me to write back that will lead to a flame war. I have said what you all didn't want to hear. deal with it, or ignore it.
    Watari
    Watari
    roku'dan
    roku'dan

Post by Watari Wed 27 Jan 2010, 12:25 am

Talking is always the first step to action L, then action leads to results, I'm sorry that you feel ganged up or unsupported but with callous remarks such as those it has to be expected, we can help others while helping ourselves, it's not beyond our abilities but cutting off the world from our support will do nothing but further spark the flames of anger that can lead to war. I won't comment much on your post because it seems you're not up for debating or even opening up to other views, which is in my opinion sad but thus your choice, but if you would take a look around at what people do within our own country to help the people in our country you can see that we spend triple every year on our own people than what we're doing for this once in a lifetime thing for the Haitian people, we will never forget our own but in the meanwhile we must not forget about others that could use our help, closing ourselves off to others who need help will only feed the spark that will ignite the flames of anger and resentment.
    Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Post by Kyouri Kai Wed 27 Jan 2010, 10:11 am

Lrules wrote:Yea, I may be in on just one key issue that I think is important, but there are billions of other people out there doing the same thing I am, but on different topics.

You mean like taking up the issue of helping those in need in Haiti?

Lrules364 wrote:ALL YOU PEOPLE CAN THINK OF IS HAITI!!!!! PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

And no, I do not care about your criticizing bs. You can talk about my ideas and how you think they are wrong all you want. but the truth is, im always eventually right.

You mean like this?

Kyouri wrote:Now.. as for Pontiac. And given that you've said something that was in your pm to me... let me set you straight on one major thing.............................

Pontiac doesn't mean shit to me when compared to my children. I lost something a whole hell of alot more precious to me than a damn car company whose CEOs ran it into the ground. It's a car! It's not a human life. So please do not come at me and say that I don't understand. It's you who assumes that your life is worse than anyone else's and that is where you are wrong! Your problems aren't shit compared to millions of others. So when I said 'deal with it'.. I meant it.

I will be one of the last people you will ever meet in your life that will bend over and kiss your ass all because you believe your life sucks. I could get you to hate me within a split second all because I will tell you how it is and not what you want to hear. But when your life finally does settle down, I'll also be the first person you thank for it, and whether you ever say it or not, does not matter to me. The only thing that matters to me is that you get your head out of your ass and stop believing your problems are worse than anyone else's and that no one could possibly understand. You assume too much!
    Lrules364 wrote:ok, that was just plain rude. I know you lost things in your life too. But this is important to me. So if you have a problem with that, I will simply not be on anymore. It really pisses me off that you would go that far as to tell me to
    get my head out of my ass
    . who exactly do you think I am? huh?? did you actually think that yelling at me was the right idea?? you think you know all my lifes problems, but you don't. Haiti 856769 So, no. Unless you appologize, I will not be on at noon, or for that matter, ever again. And no Kyo, you don't have to if you don't want to. I have never been spoken to in that matter of tone, or had a slap to the face like that. And for that, I cannot thank you at all. Haiti 3947
    Kyouri wrote:lol.. then I see I made my point! And believe me, I could have been much ruder than I was by attacking you with expletives that show you who you really portray yourself as to others.

I have never been spoken to in that matter of tone, or had a slap to the face like that.
    Precisely your problem.

I will not apologize for you feeling sorry for yourself and taking it and your personal opinions out on other members then come crying to everyone that you didn't do anything wrong and that everyone hates you. I will not take back anything I said, and if you wish to leave.. see ya!
    Lrules364 wrote:thanks for slapping me in the face, it sounded pretty cool and looked good too. It also woke me up.

Now admittedly, Watari handled this in a much more subtle and polite way than what I just reminded you of. I'm not here to stir more problems, but as the admin I have to point out that, once again, you are slamming on your fellow members with malice and that will not be tolerated. There is nothing at all wrong with voicing your opinion and disdain for what is going on in the world, that is our American Constitutional Right, and only natural as a human being. HOW you say things and to whom you are directing them, on the other hand, is what you need to work on... your delivery leaves much to be desired.

There are people that are taking up this 'temporary' cause for a nation that could never afford to help us out. You almost make it sound like you are not willing to give freely... there must be something in return for you. That is another problem that most other countries find with Americans. Is it not enough to just open up your heart to someone in need even if you don't know them and they have never done anything for you? What has any single one of the Americans that you are fighting so hard for actually done for you, or even for America? You can assume that just because they pay taxes they are in essence helping you. But what if you were left without a home because a devastating tornado came through and wiped out every single last thing you owned, including your loved ones? Just how many of those Americans that you are going out of your way to help would lift a finger in return? Do you think it is excusable or forgivable just because they and you are both Americans?

If you wish to keep your money at home, then that is fine, that is your prerogative - your money, your choice. But in turn, it is also the other Americans' money and their choice. There is no right or wrong in this, L... it is all a matter of personal choice, just like "Twilight" or "Pontiac". Haiti 693126
    Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Post by Kyouri Kai Wed 27 Jan 2010, 8:48 pm

Sorry for the double post, but the previous one was rather long and this is actually some spam text I received on my cell phone earlier today and wish to opine openly to:
    FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:Shame

Shame on you America! seems to be we have homeless without shelter, children going to bed without eating, elderly going without needed meds, and mentally ill without treatment - yet we have a benefit for the people of Haiti on 12 TV stations. Why do we care so much for others and not ourselves? I think we need to start and show the love for our needy and downtrodden first. Lets spend our money on ourselves! Are'nt we worthy, many are new unemployed without health care here as well! Yet we can spend millions of dollars on others! Wake up America! 99% of people won't have the guts to forward this. How about you!!!
    First, it has nothing to do with my not having the guts, but not having 1) unlimited text messaging, 2) the need to spam my friends' cell phones, and 3) pass on a message that is incomplete.

What this person needs to realize is that our govt sent help to aid the flood victims of the midwest, sent aid south due to hurricane Katrina, sent aid to those who lost their homes due to earthquakes and mudslides in the west, etc. We have had our celebrities put on shows, such as Farm Aid, in order to help raise millions of dollars for American farmers. There are telethons held annually in order to help Jerry's kids (although I don't recall seeing it in the past couple years). All over our local news and a plethora of commercials, especially during the fall and winter holiday season, there are requests for food, clothing, toys, dollars, etc. What is missing is this person's acknowledgment that Americans help Americans on a daily basis, every single day of every single year. The Haiti issue is as Watari stated... a once in a lifetime thing. Given that, the media exposure has been grand. Just because there is not an overwhelming sense of media exposure for the plight of Americans does not mean that Americans have forgotten about their fellow citizens and have depleted giving aid to them. Our tax dollars go to those in America, both citizen and illegal immigrant, more than they do any other country, and Americans donate their time, money, and goods, it's just not so 'in your face' coverage.

So again, not have the guts to mass spam other cell phones!? I think this person needs to reassess their own American culture before they continue downing what 'they' obviously do not understand.

P.S. STOP SPAMMING MY CELL PHONE!!!
    Lrules364
    Lrules364
    go'dan
    go'dan

Post by Lrules364 Thu 28 Jan 2010, 6:24 pm

I have a right to voice my opinion just as much as anyone else. I am not bothered by any of your "revoking" stuff.

As for that stupid text message, it was never meant to be sent to you. It was sent to BF and thats it. I had no intention of stirring up relations with anyone on here. I have just checked my cell phone bill, and no messages such as this have been sent by me to you. So how you got it, is beyond me.

As for that old thread you brought up, that was very inappropriate of you. My comments were not directed toward you, or anyone else on this entire forum board. there should have been no reply to anything that was posted up above. It was simply me commenting on a subject for my personal matter. If you don't like it, don't comment on it. just leave it be. After all, I had to learn that the hard way back in the days when I was on here. (even though some stuff slips my mind sometimes before posting. so its my bad there)

post edited to remove off topic rhetoric - member given warning // Kyouri
    Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Post by Kyouri Kai Thu 28 Jan 2010, 6:46 pm

Admin response to above post:
    Spoiler:
    -----------------------------
    Back to topic!

Just heard that they pulled out a female that had been buried for 15 days and was keeping herself alive by drinking some water from a tub. Good news like this is what makes all the efforts others are putting into this worth it, in my opinion. Haiti 693126
    Watari
    Watari
    roku'dan
    roku'dan

Post by Watari Thu 28 Jan 2010, 10:12 pm

Yay for more survivors!! That kind of news always brings a warm feeling and just thinking about the fear they might have experienced for those days they were trapped had to be ungodly, they are strong people caught in a bad situation, I can only hope that what ever their choice of beliefs brings them the peace they need to move past this ordeal and rebuild on a path to a better life.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content