Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!
Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!

Creation vs. Evolution

Creation or Evolution?

Creation vs. Evolution Vbar_l1020%Creation vs. Evolution Vbar_r10 20% 
    [ 1 ]
    Creation vs. Evolution Vbar_l100%Creation vs. Evolution Vbar_r10 0% 
    [ 0 ]
    Creation vs. Evolution Vbar_l1060%Creation vs. Evolution Vbar_r10 60% 
    [ 3 ]
    Creation vs. Evolution Vbar_l1020%Creation vs. Evolution Vbar_r10 20% 
    [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 5

Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge : Creation vs. Evolution Tradej11

Creation vs. Evolution Empty Creation vs. Evolution

Post by Kyouri Kai Sun 23 May 2010, 7:28 pm

Doing a search on the myth of dragons, I ran across what is probably the most profound and most highly debated topic of human life - Creation or Evolution. Here's an excerpt from a page I found on the debated topic:
    All About Philosophy wrote:Creation vs. Evolution - A Question of Origins
    The creation vs. evolution debate is a question of origins. How did we get here? Were we created or did we evolve randomly? Are we the product of purposeful intelligence or are we merely the end result of countless cosmic accidents? Does it even matter?

Creation vs. Evolution - Reason vs. Religion
    The popular media often portrays the creation vs. evolution debate as science vs. religion, with creation being religious and evolution being scientific. Unfortunately, if you don't agree with this label, you too are labeled. Regardless of whether you're a creationist or an evolutionist, if you disagree with the stereotype, you're condemned and "exposed" as a religious fanatic who is secretly trying to pass religion off as science or, even worse, trying to disprove science in order to redeem a ridiculous, unscientific, religious worldview. The fact is neither model of origins has been established beyond a reasonable doubt (otherwise, the theory of evolution wouldn't be called the "theory" of evolution). Whether we like to admit it or not, those of us who subscribe to the theory of evolution do so by faith. And while the recognition of design in biology may have theological implications, it is not based upon religious premise - it's based upon empirical observation and logic.

Further reading > http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/Creation-Vs-Evolution.htm

What's your theory? Why?
    Marijane
    Marijane
    go'dan
    go'dan

Creation vs. Evolution Empty Re: Creation vs. Evolution

Post by Marijane Sun 23 May 2010, 11:42 pm

I can in a way see both ways... But I have troubles at times believing that there is actually a so called 'God'..

.. But I also have troubles believing that there is a possibility that we evolved.. So .... I don't really have a set opinion .. I am however, interested in what others thoughts are on this.. without me wanting to judge..
    sharingan09
    sharingan09
    hachi'dan
    hachi'dan

Post by sharingan09 Tue 08 Jun 2010, 4:17 am

What's funny is that a lot of religious people I've met say "hurr it's only a theory, how can it be right?". Creationism is only a theory as well, but I stand undecided on it, I dont think it really matters. We're here and that's what matters most.
    Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Post by Kyouri Kai Tue 08 Jun 2010, 10:29 pm

I agree that we're here but I admit that sometimes I wonder why or how. A moments thought about evolution leads me to say that 1) we are not evolved from apes lest there either still be the medium creations (link) amongst us, or there would no longer be apes, and 2) there is scientific proof of some forms of evolution amongst living creatures. So while I believe in the science of basic evolution, I do not buy into Darwin's theory of 'ape to human'.

As for religion, I agree with Descartes who stated that religions are social institutions designed to promote social cohesion and social control. With that said, creationism happens, lest an egg and sperm uniting would produce nothing... ever. It is difficult to fathom a single entity sitting up in the sky somewhere pointing a finger and saying 'let there be light' and alas, there is light. There is no scientific proof of that being even a probable cause for our existence. However, I also cannot deny that there is some sort of link between us humans and other creatures of nature, as little incidents of thinking of someone out of the blue then suddenly the phone ringing and it being them, happens.

So why can't it be both? I agree with the above article that both the 'theory of evolution' and 'creationism' involve some amount of faith for neither has been proven to be correct. But, Darwin's theories stretch beyond that of human evolution and some of his other theories have been proven wrong, unlike the god-theory.
    Marijane
    Marijane
    go'dan
    go'dan

Post by Marijane Wed 09 Jun 2010, 12:49 pm

I just think that it is really hard to think about the possibility of there being a god of any sort that actually created us and at the same time, Kyo makes a very valid point when she says:
    Kyouri Kai
    1) we are not evolved from apes lest there either still be the medium
    creations (link) amongst us, or there would no longer be apes

I don't see how it is possible for us have evolved from apes and then be as smart and advanced in technology as we are today. I know that doesn't really make sense, but what I am trying to say is .. how is it possible that we were once something hairy and that just sat around and did nothing to becoming humans like we are today and being advanced in technology as we are today. It just doesn't seem possible that a brain and physical features or genes can change that much. *shrugs* I don't think that we will ever be able to know the real truth.
    Kellitor
    Kellitor
    sho'dan
    sho'dan

Post by Kellitor Fri 25 Jun 2010, 12:24 am

Well, at the point that how if we are evolved from something, why is that something still in existence question...
    I'm pretty sure that it's an ape-like creature that we supposedly evolved from, not an actual ape as it is now.
    Also, it's kind of like if you take a group of birds from Ohio, and release them into Alaska, the birds will slowly start to breed out genes that helped make them stronger in Ohio, and breed in genes that make them stronger in Alaska.

The birds left in Ohio, of course, will continue to be how they were originally, give or take from their own genetic mutations to make them stonger. So if we had all stayed in the same place, the chances of us evolving from apes is kind of... stretching it, but seeing as humans and apes are far-spread in their locations on the earth, it is vaguely probable.

@
    What's funny is that a lot of religious people I've met say "hurr it's
    only a theory, how can it be right?". Creationism is only a theory as
    well, but I stand undecided on it, I dont think it really matters. We're
    here and that's what matters most.
    Well, I agree with you, but I had to comment on your wonderfully put "hurr it's only a theory..." thing =]
    Gravity is only a Theory too, does that mean it's not real?

I agree that religion is just a way of keeping people in line, a form of fear-based and fiction base story telling (please don't flame me Razz I'm just saying my opinion.) It is like telling the story of the Tortoise and the Hare to a child, meant to be taken as a morality story, not as it's literal value. I don't completely discredit the idea that there is a higher being, who very well may have created the earth (because come on, we still have no idea how the earth itself got here, how the universe got here... the Atheist idea that it just POOF and was is ridiculous to me.

I believe that there is probably a decent mixture of Creation and Evolution going on in life, but eh... maybe we'll find out when we die!
    Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Post by Kyouri Kai Mon 28 Jun 2010, 11:09 pm

Kellitor wrote:I'm pretty sure that it's an ape-like creature that we supposedly evolved from, not an actual ape as it is now.
    Also, it's kind of like if you take a group of birds from Ohio, and release them into Alaska, the birds will slowly start to breed out genes that helped make them stronger in Ohio, and breed in genes that make them stronger in Alaska.

The birds left in Ohio, of course, will continue to be how they were originally, give or take from their own genetic mutations to make them stonger. So if we had all stayed in the same place, the chances of us evolving from apes is kind of... stretching it, but seeing as humans and apes are far-spread in their locations on the earth, it is vaguely probable.

Again, I agree with 'basic evolution'. The displacement of a species (or part of that species) to a far-off land would create a mutation many many many years down the road, not forgetting that there very well may be some mix-breeding. Although, while birds are not known to really mix-breed, as with most animals/mammals, humans on the other hand, are and do.

And I don't see how humans have been displaced far from their 'cousins' the apes, as there are many villages in the areas of ape populations in Africa. There are also older, and possibly lesser known, theoretical discoveries that ties upright walking human creatures in with the time of the dinosaurs. I really do have a very difficult time swallowing a theory that states every single living creature upon Earth evolved from a single cell.

Given that, I know that within each species are anomalies - cerebral palsy, down syndrome, siamese twins, etc within the human populous alone. However, just because it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, does not necessarily make it a duck. Hence the movie Gorillas in the Mist - human woman lives with gorillas, mates with gorillas, gets killed by poachers in the same manner as gorillas - and any offspring that she may have had would have looked like a 'missing link', in my opinion. The mix-breeding amongst what we consider the human race has been written about in a plethora of ancient texts - The Book of Enoch, Leabhar Gabhála Erren, most Greek texts.

I am given to understand that humans, and of course other animals, are going to physically adapt to their environment. The looks of the Neanderthal would give rise to a belief that they existed in a very cold climatic period on Earth. If apes are prone to warmer climates, a Neanderthal appears very close to the physical attributes of the missing link, would that mean that once we moved back to warmer climates we would continue to evolve into what we are today - white, black, asian, short, tall, thin, thick, hairy, hairless, etc. - or would we have stuck with our origins of that of the ape, or ape-like creature, and reverted back to our original form?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content