Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!
Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!

New malware attack targets Twilight fans

Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge : New malware attack targets Twilight fans Tradej11

New malware attack targets Twilight fans Empty New malware attack targets Twilight fans

Post by Kyouri Kai Wed 18 Nov 2009, 7:45 am

Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:09PM EST

In case you're not part of the lovesick teen-promise ring set, the second film in the Twilight series, New Moon, arrives in theaters this Friday, and its slobbering audience is desperate for any kind of taste it can get of the wildly anticipated movie. Any Harry Potter nerd will tell you the same thing.

But fanatical franchises like this invariably lead to danger, as fans let their guard down, exposing themselves -- and their computers -- to risky situations.

A new Twilight scam making the rounds and exposed by PC Tools, isn't a whole lot different from the usual M.O., but here's a primer on how it works.

It all begins with a web search: Users search for "Stephenie Meyer" (a misspelling of the name of the author of the Twilight books) on the web, and find (rather high) in the results a link to a result reading "Stephanie Meyer at 365Multimedia.com," with the description "Stephenie Meyer interview on Twilight the movie starring Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart."

Sounds harmless enough, but 365Multimedia.com doesn't actually host interviews (it's a desktop background and screensaver website), and the link in question doesn't actually go there either. Instead, users are directed to a malicious website that takes that age-old scareware path: A pop-up alerts users that they are infected with some sort of malware, and then directs them to a download site so they can get a phony antivirus software product to remedy the issue.

At that point, the user is asked for his credit card number, additional malware is installed on the machine, and Robert Pattinson is nowhere to be found. Now that sucks. (Bites? Pick your own favorite vampire reference...)

The good news is that most anti-malware software should protect you from actually falling prey to this scam even if you do click on the link, but do keep in mind that extra vigilance is in order when getting information about especially popular topics (remember that Anna Kournikova had her own virus at one time) and when visiting sites you've never heard of.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/154852/new-malware-attack-targets-twilight-fans/
    Brutefox16
    Brutefox16
    kyotou
    kyotou

New malware attack targets Twilight fans Empty Re: New malware attack targets Twilight fans

Post by Brutefox16 Wed 18 Nov 2009, 11:14 am

Soo... Aslong as I don't search for any Twilight things I don't have to worry about it? *smiles* Guess I'm Safe!
    KageSenko
    KageSenko
    go'dan
    go'dan

New malware attack targets Twilight fans Empty Re: New malware attack targets Twilight fans

Post by KageSenko Wed 18 Nov 2009, 4:23 pm

lmao poor fans of the teams xD... they should avoid websites with numbers in the URL XD
    Marijane
    Marijane
    go'dan
    go'dan

Post by Marijane Wed 18 Nov 2009, 6:22 pm

Wow, that does suck. *thinks* Glad that I had no intention to go and look up anything on Twilight! New malware attack targets Twilight fans 245150 But thanks for the heads up anyway. I will pass this one on to other Twilight loving freaks that I know. New malware attack targets Twilight fans 693126
    Ichigobleachfan
    Ichigobleachfan
    roku'dan
    roku'dan

Post by Ichigobleachfan Wed 18 Nov 2009, 7:39 pm

*Looks around* Don't look at me! I don't fall for that stuff! Razz Plus... I don't google Twilight... Much... But I think I'm good, have computer techy knowledge to work with! New malware attack targets Twilight fans 245150 But that really does suck, because it's something that people shouldn't do... New malware attack targets Twilight fans Icon_sad Especially to all the Twilighters... That's just mean!
    Lrules364
    Lrules364
    go'dan
    go'dan

Post by Lrules364 Thu 19 Nov 2009, 1:09 pm

I think its a great idea!!! Thank you Malware producers for actually doing something good for the world! New malware attack targets Twilight fans 276436 Now maybe the number of twilight idiots will decrease a little. (im talkin about full blown out retards that dress up like them and have a whole room dedicated to them and basically worship the characters and the author. Im not talkin about the normal people that just read the book. Just as long as they are not talkin about it all the time or going to watch the movie anything.) And I am VERY glad they targeted the twilight 'free movie download' people and the people who want to keep searching for more twilight bowlcrap. If this continues, maybe the twilight stuff will come to a screeching halt and then everyone will finally start to read something good for once. but the world is too screwed up right now to even realize that this series is garbage. Maybe one day, the world will be what it once was during the early 2000's and before. A man can dream, can he not? New malware attack targets Twilight fans Icon_wink
    Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge : New malware attack targets Twilight fans Tradej11

Post by Kyouri Kai Thu 19 Nov 2009, 6:50 pm

Lrules364 wrote:I think its a great idea!!! Thank you Malware producers for actually doing something good for the world! New malware attack targets Twilight fans 276436 Now maybe the number of twilight idiots will decrease a little. (im talkin about full blown out retards that dress up like them and have a whole room dedicated to them and basically worship the characters and the author. Im not talkin about the normal people that just read the book. Just as long as they are not talkin about it all the time or going to watch the movie anything.) And I am VERY glad they targeted the twilight 'free movie download' people and the people who want to keep searching for more twilight bowlcrap. If this continues, maybe the twilight stuff will come to a screeching halt and then everyone will finally start to read something good for once. but the world is too screwed up right now to even realize that this series is garbage. Maybe one day, the world will be what it once was during the early 2000's and before. A man can dream, can he not? New malware attack targets Twilight fans Icon_wink

Ah... and here I look forward to the day people that search for anything NASCAR get their computers fried... how blissful that will be... maybe all the talk about Jeff Gordon will come to a screeching halt. *rolls eyes* Seriously, L, supporting any sort of malware is utterly ridiculous! The people that think up this stuff should get the tar kicked out of 'em.
    KageSenko
    KageSenko
    go'dan
    go'dan

Post by KageSenko Thu 19 Nov 2009, 9:15 pm

lmao i would laugh at all the red necks crying that their computers are screwed xD, any sort of malware is bad... you shouldnt praise them
    sharingan09
    sharingan09
    hachi'dan
    hachi'dan

Post by sharingan09 Fri 20 Nov 2009, 11:24 am

Where is your sparkling saviour now that your computers have malware, hauahuhahahha
    Lrules364
    Lrules364
    go'dan
    go'dan

Post by Lrules364 Fri 20 Nov 2009, 12:19 pm

i was just playin. (about some of it Twisted Evil) Malware sucks, ill give you that. But these guys are probably just as sick of hearing about twilight as I am. Still, there is no need to create a virus for it. Just start putting in fake URL's so people will stop searching for it and stuff. There is no need to get mad at me you two. (and just so you know, i never use google, or look up anything related to NASCAR. and that is because I use ask.com or bing for my searches and nascar.com to find out everything I need to know. Razz)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content