Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!
Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!

Santorum ousts Perry for being 'weak' on 'American soverignty' and 'immigration'

Kyouri Kai
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge : Santorum ousts Perry for being 'weak' on 'American soverignty' and 'immigration' Tradej11

Santorum ousts Perry for being 'weak' on 'American soverignty' and 'immigration' Empty Santorum ousts Perry for being 'weak' on 'American soverignty' and 'immigration'

Post by Kyouri Kai Fri 23 Sep 2011, 9:58 am

In last night's Fox News / Google GOP debate held in Orlando, FL, the question was raised regarding immigration. Perry made a clear statement that Texas spent "$400 million of [their] taxpayer money into securing [the] border" by placing Texas Ranger recon teams' boots on the ground. After making that statement he segued into his education policy for illegals and their children.

Perry makes no bones about his stance that illegal aliens should allowed the same educational rights as American citizens in Texas. After being posed a question from a viewer if he would "exert an effort to stop the abuse of U.S. citizens by illegals", Perry made it clear that children of illegal aliens, who came here "by no fault of their own" receives a break on their education costs, which is paid for by the American taxpayers of Texas, so these children will not "become a drag on society" and of anyone who does not agree with this stance, Perry stated, "I don't think you have a heart."

Santorum, obviously feeling abashed at the 'no heart' remark, fired back with his own logic. He argued that Americans do not believe children of illegal aliens, or who may be illegal themselves, should not be allowed to attend college in Texas, but asking "why are we subsidizing" when American children who wish to attend a college or university in Texas has to pay the full tuition.

PERRY: Well, I feel pretty normal getting criticized by these folks, but the fact of the matter is this: there is nobody on this stage who has spent more time working on border security than I have.

For a decade, I've been the governor of a state with a 1,200-mile border with Mexico. We put $400 million of our taxpayer money into securing that border. We've got our Texas Ranger recon teams there now.

I supported Arizona's immigration law by joining in that lawsuit to defend it. Every day I have Texans on that border that are doing their job.

But if you say that we should not educate children who have come into our state for no other reason than they've been brought there by no fault of their own, I don't think you have a heart. We need to be educating these children, because they will become a drag on our society.

I think that's what Texans wanted to do. Out of 181 members of the Texas legislature, when this issue came up, only four dissenting votes.

This was a state issue. Texans voted on it. And I still support it greatly.

SANTORUM: Governor Perry, no one is suggesting up here that the students that are illegal in this country shouldn't be able to go to a college and university. I think you are sort of making this leap that, unless we subsidize this, the taxpayers subsidize it, they won't be able to go.

Well, most folks who want go to the state of Texas or any other state out of state have to pay the full boat (ph). The point is, why are we subsidizing?

Not that they can't go. They can go. They just have to borrow money, find other sources to be able to go.

And why should they be given preferential treatment as an illegal in this country? That's what we're saying.

(APPLAUSE)

SANTORUM: And so, yes, I would say that he is soft on illegal immigration. I think the fact that he doesn't want to build a fence -- he gave a speech in 2001 where he talked about, buy national health insurance between Mexico and Texas. I mean, I don't even think Barack Obama would be for buy national health insurance.

So I think he's very weak on this issue of American sovereignty and protecting our borders and not being a magnet for illegal immigration, yes.

After this colloquy, Perry and Santorum kept at it, with a last-second save by debate moderator, Chris Wallace to protect what appears to be his and the rest of the media's personal favorite, Rick Perry:

PERRY: I've got one question for him.

Have you ever even been to the border with Mexico?

SANTORUM: Yes.

PERRY: I'm surprised if you have, but you weren't paying attention, because the idea that you --

SANTORUM: Well, the answer is, yes, I have.

PERRY: -- are going to build a wall, a fence for 1,200 miles, and then go 800 miles more to Tijuana, does not make sense. You put the boots on the ground.

We know how to make this work. You put the boots on the ground.

You put the aviation assets --

SANTORUM: But it's not working, Governor.

PERRY: -- in the ground. No, it's not working because the federal government has not --

SANTORUM: But you said we know how it works. Is it working in Texas?

PERRY: The federal government has not engaged in this at all. When I'm the president of the United States, I'll promise you one thing --

SANTORUM: But you're saying you put the assets there. Has it worked in Texas?

PERRY: -- we will put the assets on the ground --

SANTORUM: You said you have.

PERRY: -- the boots on the ground --

BAIER: Senator Santorum, let him finish, please.

PERRY: -- the aviation assets on the ground, and we will stop illegal immigration, we will stop the drug cartels, and we will make America secure.

SANTORUM: Can you answer the question? Is it working?

WALLACE: Well, you know, you asked your question, he gave his answer, sir.

SANTORUM: OK.

WALLACE: Sometimes we are frustrated with all of you answering questions.

No, Mr. Wallace, Perry did not answer the question, he blamed the federal government. However, the rest of America knows, that after spending $400 million dollars, subsidizing illegal aliens' education, and denying a border fence, the answer is, "No, Perry's plan is not working."

Full transcript of the September 22, 2011 debate